Sunday, September 6, 2009

"This Might Go a Little Better For Me"


I have this cozy chair beside my nightstand in the bedroom. When I need to relax and have a quiet moment I retreat there. It is also where I go to spend time with my Savior each day. Yesterday I sat down and I noticed the words "Hi Mom" engraved in the corner of my nightstand. I know that Jacob can't write, Joshua can't spell and Matthew would never..."CALEB!!" Yes, I yelled!

"Yes ma'am?" was his reply.

"Caleb, what is this on my nightstand?" I asked.

Making his adorable goofy face he said, "Just wanted to say hello. Do you like it?"

"Caleb, we do not write on furniture son."

"I knew I should have written 'you're the best mom ever!'"

"Buddy, its not what you wrote, but the fact that you wrote on my furniture."
"Yes ma'am, but I have a feeling if I had written 'you're the best mom ever,' this might go a little better for me."

Oh how this reminded me so much of how I respond to God in so many situations. Sometimes we just don't get it. If only I had done it this way, then maybe God would have approved. We don't recognize sin for what it is...SIN. We wonder what we can do to make this go a little better for us. Caleb's heart was in the right place...he just wanted to say hello to his mom, but when corrected he was missing a heart of repentance. May we have hearts that grieve over our sin and not look for ways that this might go a little better for us."
I John 1:8-9 "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not is us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

No comments:

Post a Comment