Thursday, September 10, 2009

"Singing Myself to Sleep"

Matthew sneezes, his eyes swell shut, they itch, they burn, he wheezes, he coughs, he can't breathe, his eyelids look like 2 lizard skins. Having a puppy, rolling in the grass, sitting by a bonfire and swimming are all things that a normal 10 year boy loves to do and can do with little repercussion. We learned very early that Matthew is not "normal." He says he is not "normal" and he is ok with that. He does not desire to be "normal." He refers to all of these allergies and health issues as the "thorn in his flesh." Don't get me wrong, we have all prayed that the Lord would take them away and that he could cease taking the 5 prescription drugs that he takes just to get through the day without being totally miserable. But, Matthew's attitude towards this is "Paul had a thorn in his flesh, so why not me?"

(Ok at this point you might want to reach for a tissue because this is where I have trouble holding it together.) Monday night Matthew was having some really severe allergy issues with his eyes and he was not feeling well. We talked again about God's purposes and how He works out all things for our good and His glory. Feeling a little defeated spiritually and physically miserable, he asked if he could sleep in our room because he was having trouble falling asleep. Being the old softy that I am I was just about ready to scoop up his bedding when I hear from Daddy's voice in the other room..."You will be fine, just sleep in your own bed tonight." So to honor daddy, I tucked him in and went about my nightly duties. I went to check on the boys and everyone was asleep, but Matthew. As I walked past his room this is what I heard, in his precious, tone deaf, off key, whisper of a little boys voice..."How can I keep from singing Your praise?How can I ever say enough?How amazing is Your love?How can I keep from shouting Your name?I know I am loved by the King And it makes my heart want to sing" Tears began to stream from my eyes and I froze and listened to this precious young man sing praises to Jesus until he fell asleep. He didn't lay awake questioning why him? He did not cry or sulk or worry about tomorrow or wonder what his next allergy attack would hold. HE PRAISED! "How can I keep from singing your praise?" God used this incredible young man of God, who I am privileged to call my son, to remind me to praise Him in ALL circumstances. How many of us fall asleep in the presence of our Saviour, filling His heart with praise and thanksgiving, Giving Him Glory! So often my nights are filled with thoughts such as (are all the dishes done? are the backpacks ready? did I start the dishwasher? what am I fixing for breakfast tomorrow? how will we ever make it through tomorrow? God, how are we already out of money only 10 days after payday?) I am falling asleep in the presence of frantic worry, mundane chore list and occasional turmoil. I want to fall asleep like Matthew. I want to fall asleep in the presence of the one who gave His life for me. I want His praise to be in my heart. I want to be in the habit of "Praising and Singing Myself to Sleep."

Psalms 47:6-7 "Sing praises to God, sing praises to our King, sing praises. For God is the King of all the earth; sing to him a psalm of praise."

Please read the rest of Matthew's song and be blessed.

Chris Tomlin "How Can I Keep From Singing?" (To listen, scroll down to playlist and press the play button.)

There is an endless song, Echoes in my soul, I hear the music ring

And though storms may come, I am holding on, To the rock I cling

How can I keep from singing Your praise? How can I ever say enough? How amazing is Your love?

How can I keep from shouting Your name? I know I am loved by the King And it makes my heart want to sing.

I will lift my eyes, In the darkest night, For I know my Savior lives.

And I will walk with You, Knowing You see me through, And sing the songs You give.

How can I keep from singing Your praise? How can I ever say enough? How amazing is Your love?

How can I keep from shouting Your name? I know I am loved by the King And it makes my heart want to sing

I can sing in the troubled times,Sing when I win, I can sing when I lose my step, And I fall down again,

I can sing 'cause You pick me up, Sing 'cause You're there, I can sing 'cause You hear me, Lord

When I call to You in prayer, I can sing with my last breath, Sing for I know, That I'll sing with the angels

And the saints around the throne.

How can I keep from singing Your praise? How can I ever say enough? How amazing is Your love?

How can I keep from shouting Your name? I know I am loved by the King, And it makes my heart want to sing.



3 comments:

  1. I have been having trouble falling asleep these past few nights...now I know what to do instead of going over things in my mind!
    Thanks, Monica and Matthew!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this gave me tears and chill bumps. He is such a sweet kid.

    ReplyDelete