Friday, September 4, 2009

Slowly Fading


From the title, I bet you thought this was going to be about me and how I was slowly fading at the end of this long week. HA! I am but that is not what this post is about. :)

I will start with a confession! I have a black thumb! Yes, I am southern and on occasions I can grow vegetables. I can shell them, shuck them, freeze them, can them and cook them like "yo Mama" but when it comes to flowers. NO WAY! I kill them every time. My husband says it's because you are suppose to water them, but I have 4 children to water. I can't remember to water flowers. Anyway, this morning Joshua and I were sitting in the swing on the deck waiting for his kindergarten carpool and I noticed that my "Fake" Gerber daisies that I have stuck in a pot of dirt were beginning to fade. They use to be bright colors of red, pink, orange and yellow and neighbors commented on them all the time. Everyone noticed them and thought they were real. I pointed this fade out to Joshua and he said maybe if I hug them they will stand up tall again and not fade. He wrapped those little arms around the big bouquet of flowers and only one was forced to stand tall. Then he said something that I will never forget. "Mommy, do you think if they were "real" flowers they would fade and fall down or would they always be strong and pretty?" I explained to him that "real" flowers do die and they do fall, but with water and food and sunshine they will grow tall, strong and beautiful. Then I was reminded of a verse..."Isaiah 40:6-8 "All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field. The grass withers and the flowers fall, because the breath of the Lord blows on them. Surely the people are grass. The grass wither and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever." I want my life to bring Him glory! I don't want to fade out, but I do want "this flower's glory" to fall so that the glory of the creator can be recognized and praised. If the word of our God is what stands forever, it just makes since to be filled with his word. That is the water, food and sunshine we need. Charles Spurgeon once said, "When you are cut, you should bleed Bible." I pray that we are the "real" flowers that for the sake of His glory will never "Slowly Fade."

1 comment:

  1. I love your new blog design...it is so cute! I have also really enjoyed your stories and insights into the Word. God bless you, sister friend!

    ReplyDelete