Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"I Want To Make A Difference"


Yesterday I had the privilege of eating lunch with my Grammie and Pappy. While we were eating Pappy shared a few stories with me. One story that he shared with me is one I had heard in part before...
The Starfish Story
Original Story by: Loren Eisley
One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.
Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”
The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean.
The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!” After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…”I made a difference for that one.”
What my Pappy did not realize is that there are days when I struggle with this very thing. I would love to be a Beth Moore or a Kay Arthur or a Lysa Terkeurst, but I am not, I am Monica Hawkins. I would love to travel the country speaking to women and having books published left and right. That would be a dream come true for me. I am not a famous speaker or a writer, but what I am is a friend, a mother, a daughter, a wife, a blogger, a pastor's wife. Some days I feel like I don't do much more than throw starfish back into the ocean. How can I reach them all? Is what I am doing really of great value? Am I making a difference? Some days I seem to live a little defeated as I ponder these questions, but what I know is that as long as I am doing what my Savior has called me to do, He is making a difference through me. It made a difference to that precious little boy who needed a mother's love as he coughed all night. It made a difference to that friend who unexpectedly went into labor and needed her house cleaned. It made a difference to that friend who had no one to keep her baby while her child was in the hospital. It made a difference to that hurting wife who needed a listening ear. It made a difference to that mom who called at 11:00 p.m. in tears because her daughter would not stay in the bed and she needed someone to pray with her. It made a difference to my tired husband who needed a comforting meal when he came home from work at 2:00 in the morning. I may never stand before large crowds and proclaim His love, but I have an opportunity every day to make a difference in the lives of those around me. Some days it does not seem like much and some days it feels very mundane, but I am making a difference and so are you! I want to make a difference don't you? Find your starfish today and through it back into the ocean. You may not be able to save them all, but to that one you will make a difference.








1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of Kay Arthur or Lysa Terkeurst, and I can't recall ever reading a Beth Moore book, but I've heard of you- and I read your blog every night. :)

    ReplyDelete