Thursday, September 17, 2009

"Mommy, I'm Going To School"


Ok before I begin I need you to take a solemn oath. Repeat after me..."I promise...I will not...Call DHR...After hearing...the following story. I promise...not to judge...my friend Monica. I do so promise...


Thank you! Now I can begin. Earlier this afternoon I was watching 3 maybe 4 kids for some friends and 2 mothers came by to either pick up their children or chat. While we were chatting, Jacob comes into the room and says "Mommy, I go skool! I ride bus! My backpack!" (Please remember Jacob is 2!) Playing along and not wanting to send him to therapy in years to come by not encouraging a healthy imagination, I said, "Ok, see you when you get home. Have a good day!" Now at this point I thought he was "PRETENDING!" The next thing I know Caleb comes walking in the house laughing hysterically. They (he and the other 5 friends that were playing outside) had found Jacob standing at the corner waiting for the bus. (That is about 4 - 5 houses away.) His brothers had watched him and were waiting to see where he was going. Staying on the sidewalk, with his backpack strapped to his back he ran all the way to the bus stop.  He was determined that he was going to school. I was mortified that my 2 year old had wandered so far from home without my knowledge. Granted, his brothers had an eye on him, but brothers are not born with that maternal instrict.


He set his mind on something and he was determined to make it to his destination. He knew the way! He knew how it was done by his brothers each morning. He had mapped out his course and he looked straight ahead and nothing detered him from reaching his goal. Oh, how I wish I was that way in my pursuit of God's will for my life. I know my goal. I know my destination. I know what it takes to get there, but so often I do not stay the course. I become distracted by the temporary, instead of focusing on the eternal. Sometimes I get so caught up in the things that God has placed in my life and the ministries that He has entrusted to me that I forget the reason He gave them to me in the first place. (To conform me into His image and bring Him glory.) I desire to know Him more! My goal is Christ likeness! My destination is Heaven, but so often I live like it is that bigger house, that better car, that skinnier body(well, a girl can dream), that social status in life or any other destination besides the one I am truly seeking. I want to be determined in my pursuit. I want to look straight ahead and never look back, not even a glance. I want to be a student of my Father's word each day as He continues to map out my course. I want to say with Jacob, "Father God (Daddy), I'm coming to school."


Proverbs 4:25-27 "Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or left; keep your foot from evil."


Hebrews 12:1-2 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."




No comments:

Post a Comment