Thursday, September 3, 2009

If Only I Obeyed That Well!


Joshua is 5 and he is an incredible little boy. I must be honest that from about 18 months until 2 1/2 years of age I had my doubts. We considered an exorcism at one time and spent many days praying over this little boy who would respond with statements such as "Good, I wanted to make Jesus sad." and "Mommy, Jesus says you don't know." and my favorite, "Mommy, I'm trying to make you crazy." We have seen how prayer and consistent discipline does pay off. Now, he never forgets a ma'am or a sir. He always uses please and thank you and he is the most agreeable child I know. I remember what turned the tide for him. When he would disobey, I began to ask him, "Are you obeying or disobeying? What happens when you disobey?" This got his attention every time.

This past weekend he spent the night with Mimi & Papa. While at Books-A-Million he started to have a meltdown over not be allowed to buy some card game. Matthew (our 10 year old who stands for justice in all things) decided to call us with this information and he put Joshua on the phone. I asked Joshua a simple question. "Joshua, are you honoring Mommy and Daddy with your attitude while we are away? Are you honoring Mimi and Papa? Is your attitude honoring to Jesus." He dried up the tears and said..."No, ma'am, I'm sorry, I will honor them." That was it! That fast he changed his attitude and began to have a heart that honored his parents, his grandparents and his Jesus. Oh, how I wish my attitude would change that fast to honor my Jesus and bring glory to Him. "If Only I Obeyed That Well!"
Ephesians 6:1-2 "Children obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother which is the first commandment with a promise that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."

1 comment:

  1. Oh do I get that, and how I wish that I would have that attitude, of always wanting to honor Jesus!
    Wow! the change in attitude with him! Now if I can figure out how to instill those things in my kids, and help them to express emotions in a way that is honoring to others and to God.....

    God bless,
    heather

    ReplyDelete