Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"Would You Like Some Cheese With That Whine?"

I had the privilege of speaking to a precious group of ladies this weekend. God's presence was truly felt and He worked in all of our hearts. While I was away, my amazing husband did all the laundry and my sweet boys put it all away. This was such an extra blessing. I walked in the door and was greeted by lots of hugs and kisses and cheers for "Mommy." I did notice however that their seemed to be a whine about the house, led by my precious little Jacob. You know the bit, "Moooommmmyyyyy, can I pleeeeaaaase have taaaannnng." Everything he said was in a sing song whine. I was so happy to be with my children and to hear their precious voices, but the whine...oh my word. I was exhausted from such an awesome weekend, but the whining led the exhaustion to seek out a very early bedtime for one and all. There was really no reason for Jacob to whine. I was home. I was excited to see him and I would have done anything he asked as long as it lined up with the Hawkins House Rules. He knew that and he was asking, but with a whine that told me he didn't believe I would do what he was asking me to do. 

Tonight the Lord brought a situation to my attention that took me to a passage of scripture that convicts me and that I pray will not be the case for us as believers today.

    Acts 12:12-16
  • Peter knocked at the outer entrance, and a servant girl named Rhoda came to answer the door.  
  • When she recognized Peter's voice, she was so overjoyed she ran back without opening it and exclaimed, "Peter is at the door!"  
  • "You're out of your mind," they told her. When she kept insisting that it was so, they said, "It must be his angel." 
  • But Peter kept on knocking, and when they opened the door and saw him, they were astonished.

This group of believers had gathered at the home of Mary the mother of John and were praying and believing God for the release of Peter from prison. They were interceding, trusting, pleading, asking God to protect and release their friend. Even as they prayed God was doing exactly what they were asking Him to do, but guess what. They did not have the faith to believe what they were asking. The answer to their prayer walked in the door and still they said "You're our of your mind." I read this and I totally don't get it. How could they spend the time and the energy praying for something all the while not believing their prayers would be answered. It seems like such a tragedy, but what breaks my heart the most is the fact that we as a church (the universal body of Christ) do this everyday. How often do we sound like Jacob? Do you ever wonder if Jesus would like to serve us a little cheese to go along with the whine? Don't misinterpret what I am saying. I know that He wants to hear from us. I know He wants us to be in a constant conversation with Him and bring everything to Him, but do you ever think asking while not truly believing in faith that He will do what He says He will do, just comes across as whining. I want to know that when I go before my all-powerful, all-knowing, loving Father, that I am doing so with the Faith that He can and He will answer. I want mountain moving faith. I want to possess mustard seed faith. 

What are you trusting God to do today? What are you interceding and asking of your Savior today? Is it according to His will? Do you believe He can do it? Watch, be alert expectantly waiting for Him to answer.  Ask in confidence, but not a confidence of your own, but a confidence in our God who is able to raise the dead, part the seas and break down walls so we can possess the land. Dear God, may we possess the faith of a mustard seed and say to this mountain...be moved. I am praying for a mountain to be moved today! Join me as we wait with great expectation. May we pray with boldness and faith so Jesus will never have to ask us... "Would you like some cheese with that whine?"

No comments:

Post a Comment