Friday, November 19, 2010

"Temptations Of A Mud Puddle"


Monday night was a night of gifts in this mommy world I call home. It had been raining all day and soccer practice was cancelled. Normally this wouldn't have excited me so much but I had been away all weekend and was in need of some quality family time with my guys. Not to mention that being on the soccer fields multiple nights of the week is starting to lose its excitement now that we are almost 3 months into soccer season. So gift number one came in the way of an e-mail closing the soccer fields, but the next e-mail I got was even more exciting. Matt e-mailed and said, "How about a family night out on the town? We can take in a matinee movie and have dinner at chick-fil-a." I was so excited because anything that involves parting with money is usually my idea, so if Matt was on board with this, then WHOOO HOOOO. Let's go. I was cleaning a house that afternoon and was almost finished when I realized it was pouring down rain and my boys would be stepping off of the bus in just a minute. I scooted to the bus stop and then came back and left them in the car while I finished my spit and shine. Apparently I have neglected to tell my children that when you are watching a movie you do not turn the car off. I hopped in the car with the clock ticking quickly to 4:00 which is when Matthew has to be picked up from his robotics class. Click, click was all that I heard as I turned the key and tried to hurry on my way. A DEAD BATTERY! I never have a dead battery. I will spare you the rest of the details but needless to say we were late to get Matthew and 40 minutes later as I sat in my friends driveway with the rain pouring down, I was in NO mood for a night out on the town. We had already missed the matinee and I was bummed. I might have complained a little and I am pretty sure I sighed, huffed and I might have threatened to never even bother going to the movies again. As usual, (which is why I am so blessed) my wonderful husband helped me to put it all into perspective, rebuked me gently and suggested I go home shower, rest a few minutes and we would have dinner first and then catch the movie. After all it was only $4 more to go later. Sigh! All of this is what brings me to my favorite part of the evening. As we were leaving the movie all excited and talking about our favorite parts we opened the door to the continued downpour and Jacob spotted it. His eyes grew as big as golf balls, his mouth opened wide in excitement and he squealed "A MUD PUDDLE." I could see that it was taking every bit of the self-control he could muster to stay right where he was. "Look Mommy, a mud puddle." "Jacob, you want to jump into it don't you?" "Oh yeah!" He stood eyes a gaze at his greatest temptation in life. A MUD PUDDLE. I had to ask him another question, "Jacob, is it taking everything within you to not run and jump in that mud puddle." "Yes ma'am, I want to sooo bad." I thanked him for resisting the temptation and obeying what he knew in his heart was the standard. It was hard for him to resist the temptation to wallow in the mud, but with every ounce of his three year old body he resisted. I wish I exercised that much self-control. Just that day I gave into wallowing in the mud of self-pity, aggravation, bad attitudes and negative thoughts. I didn't resist the temptation, I just dove in head first and wallow, wallow, wallowed. Jacob knew the standard. He knew from experience that he was not allowed to jump and run and lay and wallow in mud puddles. He had given in once before and though it was fun for a little while, it was not fun having to suffer the consequences of riding home wet, cold and barely clothed and it was not fun for the one who had to clean him up. Sound familiar, wallowing in sin may at times bring momentary gratification, but in the end the mess we have to clean up is so not worth it. Not to mention, the greatest consequence of them all. The one who provided the clean up on the cross, is the one who suffers the most. He gave His life in order that we do not have to give into temptation any longer. 1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." Mark 14:38 "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." We no longer have to give into temptation. We can resist it just as Jacob did. He made a choice NOT to wallow in that mud. As a matter of fact, he didn't even come close to it, but it took self-control. He fought it and he fought it hard. Oh how my heart longs to be a fighter like Jacob and resist the temptations of a mud puddle."

No comments:

Post a Comment