Saturday, November 13, 2010

"The Battle Is Not Yours But God's" Part 2


Let me make a disclaimer....if you are in the Valdosta area and are attending the "Traditions" conference tomorrow night you will want to stop reading now. These blogs (part 1 and part2) are taken from portions of my talk for tomorrow night, so don't ruin the surprise. Go ahead, log off.

Ok, for the rest of you, I want to pick up where we left off yesterday. We learned that Jehoshaphat was steadfast in his faith. So here we are, Jehoshaphat has just prayed before this assembly and even though he was king, in humility before everyone he admitted that he did not know what to do, but He was going to keep his eyes on God.

I don't know about you guys, but I was a little disturbed at the lack of urgency King Jehoshaphat was experiencing here. Don't get me wrong, I am all for praying, but let's pray and move, move, move. But here we find...

2. Jehoshaphat was content to wait.

He had called his people together to pray and to fast. He prayed expressing to God that he did not know what to do and he waited.

This is an excerpt from a previous blog, but it applies to this point...

Sometimes the greatest lessons are not found in the answer, but in the wait that comes before. Is seems that many times in my life God has place me in the “wait.” We often see those times of “wait” as a punishment, a cruel joke or wasted time, but in reality the “wait” can be the greatest lesson of them all. Have you ever been there in that time of wait? Are you there now? I can think back on many times of waiting. I waited for God to bring me a mate, all the while He was preparing me and Matt for His great plan. I am thankful for those days of wait that brought us both to His feet and allowed us to first love Him intimately. I waited and waited to become pregnant, learning more lessons during that wait than I could have thought possible only to be blessed with 4 precious boys. Sometime layering the "waits" God was teaching me multiple lessons as over the years I have awaited test results from Cat-scans, MRI's Blood tests, Biopsies, not only on me but sometimes my husband and once my small child. Thinking that God would receive the greatest glory when the answers came and then realizing that the greatest lessons came in the time He called me to wait because sometimes the answers did not seem so great. We miss so many teachable moments by worrying away the days of waiting, when God desires for us to embrace the wait and sit at His feet. He is always teaching us. I believe that sometimes He allows the wait to remain until we become pliable and learn the lesson He had planned out for us.What is your wait today? Has God called you to a new discipline in your life? Are you waiting on a mate? Do you long to hold a child in your arms? Are you awaiting test results from your doctor? Maybe it is a financial need that you are trusting God to take care of? Whatever the weakness, allow Him to be your strength. Whatever the "wait," ask Him to teach you, mold you , shape you and allow you to remain until His will has been accomplished in your life. Sometimes the "wait" can be the most precious time you ever spend.

Jehoshaphat was content to wait and oh how quickly God answered. Jahziel stood up and this is what he said,

“Jehoshaphat, I have a word from the Lord. Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not your, but God’s.” (Paraphase: So tomorrow, get up and march down there to where they are. Now they are going to be climbing up in pursuit of you, but) “You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you. Do not be afraid or discouraged, go out to face them tomorrow and the Lord will be with you.”

I love the picture in this next verse, "Jehoshaphat bowed with his face to the ground and all the other people fell in worship before the Lord." Can't you see the relief? He just fell on his face in worship and praise to God. And as they did this God led them into a time of praise. As a matter of fact, the next morning when they went out to meet their enemy, they were clinging to the promise that God had made to them, but Jehoshaphat had resolved that he did not want this to become about him so he kept them focused. He appointed men to sing to the Lord and to praise him for the splendor of his holiness as they went out at the head of the army, saying “Give thanks to the Lord, for his love endures forever.”

I don't know much about wars and battles, but if I was in charge, I probably would not send the chorus out first. I would send my football team out. Send those big, strong, burly guys out and get this thing over with, but Jehoshaphat knew what he was doing.

Join me tomorrow to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment