Thursday, October 22, 2009

"Never A Question"


We had our first parent teacher conferences for the boys on Monday. Sunday night Caleb crawled into the bed with me and said..."I'm scared about my conference tomorrow." I asked him if he had reason to be scared. "I just don't know if I'm doing as good as I think I am. I get in trouble sometimes for standing up, talking and singing in the bathroom. I'm really nervous."  Up until that point I had not been nervous, but now my stomach was a little jumpy. What if my perfect, well behaved, well mannered children are really not? I met with Caleb's teacher and he had all "E's" which in second grade is the equivalent to all A's. They said he was a very respectful young man, a friend to all and the only thing he needed to work on was doing his best in all things and not trying to hurry. I started wondering if this was the same child I had spoken to last night. Caleb was convinced that his behavior was not up to par and that he was going to get a bad report. So I asked, "Does Caleb ever get in trouble for standing up, talking or singing in the bathroom?" "We had to ask him once to stop singing so loud in the bathroom and the other Caleb gets in trouble for those things, but not your Caleb." Ok, yes I had to fight the prideful Mommy moment of "That's my boy." Remain humble Monica, it is not you, it is by the grace of God and Him working in the lives of your children that they obey and are an example. I came home to Caleb with his shining report, but also with a lesson that I hope he will take to heart in life. Apparently, Caleb had not been living his life completely above reproach. He did not have the confidence that nothing was going to be brought against him. He was struggling within his heart and mind wondering how much the teachers would share. Apparently he had been standing up and he had been talking  and singing in the bathroom, it's just that the teachers have noticed others doing that more. Caleb felt the conviction in his heart. As I mom that means more than the straight "E's." I shared with Caleb that day that we are to live our lives in such a way that no one is able to bring a charge against us. We are to live blameless in every area of our lives. We are to stay as far away from sin as possible. If Caleb had been living above repproach he would not have had anything to worry about. He could have slept that night with full confidence knowing in his heart that he was blameless. Oh the torment my poor little man must have been in Sunday night and Monday morning until I arrived home. I don't wish that kind of worry on my children, but I pray that it was a teachable moment in life. I pray that it was a defining moment of character building in his life. I pray that he will walk blameless each day. I pray that for me and you as well. I've stayed awake before wondering if the things I said were going to come back to charge me. I have lived in fear over actions, attitudes and careless words wondering if brought to the attention to others or more importantly brought to the attention of my Savior I would be convicted. The truth is, He always knows, always sees and nothing is hidden from His eye. Lord Jesus, may I walk and live a holy and blameless life before you in all things.

1 Peter 2: 12 "Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."

2 Peter 3:14 "So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him."

1 comment:

  1. I hang on every word! The truth you speak into your boys' hearts is amazing!

    ReplyDelete