Thursday, October 1, 2009

"I Don't Want My Endorphins Released"


So here is how the conversation went...Monica: "I am so tired. I am ready to go to bed. (10:30 p.m)" Matt: "It's because you don't exercise." Monica: "That would make me even more tired." Matt: "You need to stay up in the mornings and get on the elliptical when the boys go to school and that will release your endorphins and make you not so tired." Monica: "I don't want my endorphins released."

Now, in my heart I know it is true, but think with me here. If I am going to bed at 12:30 or 1:00 and I get up at 6:30 and stay up, I am only getting 51/2 maybe 6 hours of sleep. Some of my best sleep is the 2 hours I get after my children leave for school and Jacob is still asleep. I don't care how many endorphins are released, I will still be tired come 12:30 the next night. Don't get me wrong, I am not against exercise, I am just against the time it takes away from other things in order to exercise. Against the will of my flesh, I WILL begin a NEW exercise program, so ask me how it is going.


I am finding that exercise for me must become a discipline like spending time in God's Word. I have heard that when you exercise regularly you start to crave exercise and you can't get enough of it. That is how I feel about God's Word. Once you get a taste of it you just can't get enough. Spending time with the Lord is not something you HAVE time to do, you make the time. You MUST! It must become like breathing. It is the true breath of life. Earlier in my Mommy years it was so hard to spend time with the Lord. When I had a moment to myself and all little people were napping, I wanted to mop, sweep, scrub or do laundry...you know, all the things that are so hard to do with so many little helpers. The perfect time to have a quiet time was while they were sleeping, but, alas, so many other things would scream out for my attention. It had to become a discipline in my life, just like showering, eating and brushing my teeth. As it was first a discipline, it then became a craving that turned into a ravenous hunger, but I MADE time to spend with my Savior. At no point during my day did everyone in my house sit quietly, with all laundry done, the house clean and a neon light flashing "SPEND TIME WITH JESUS NOW!"  It is not built into my coo coo clock. It is a discipline that created a desire! I am hoping exercise will be that way in my life as well. Don't misunderstand me...I never want it to take the place or even walk equal with my spending time in the Word. The condition of my heart is much more important than that of my body, but I know my body is a temple and for that reason I will make this new exercise a priority. What do you need to MAKE time for in your life? What area of discipline do you need to focus on? What discipline in your life is quickly becoming a desire? Is it the Word of God? Let us encourage one another as we seek to be all He wants us to be in mind, body and soul.


Colossians 3:16 "Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing pslams, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God."

Proverbs 1:7 "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline."



1 comment:

  1. he he. I love that I can picture Matt saying this to you :)

    ReplyDelete