Monday, November 15, 2010

"Fear Not, For I Bring You Good News"


If someone told you that they possessed something that would make it possible to never fear again would you buy it sight unseen? If I assured you that once you possessed this you would not be afraid of failing marriages, wayward children, financial difficulties or even spiders that crawl in the bathtub would you want what I have? Maybe I'm just a sucker for doing things the easy way, but if you could guarantee me that all my fears would be washed away, I would knock you down and trip my own mother just to get to this miraculous, mysterious solution to that which has held me captive for so long. Luke 2:10 "But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good new of great joy that will be for all people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord." We see right before this that even shepherds had fears. These men who were the protector of their flocks and fought off large scary animals could still become terrified. I realize that the angels were addressing this fear when they said, "Do not be afraid." But, I also believe they were addressing you and me that night as well. You see these angels knew "good news" that would lead to "great joy." I believe these angels were bringing more than a birth announcement. They were bringing peace, comfort and hope as they said "Do not be afraid." In other words, you do not have to fear anymore because today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord. Jesus came to take away our sins once and for all. He came to take away our sins of fear and worry. It is possible to live a fearless, worry-free life when we live abiding in our Savior and rejoicing in His good news and basking in His great joy. When I first read this, it was as if the Lord said, "Monica DO NOT BE AFRAID, I have good news and His name is JESUS." Because of the person of the Lord Jesus Christ I do not have to fear. He came to conquer fear, he came to conquer worry, he came to conquer death, hell and the grave. In order to allow death,hell and the grave to be conquered in our lives we had to give our lives over to Him, repenting of our sins and walking in the new life He offers. The same is true with fear. We have to give that fear to Him, acknowledging that He is the supreme authority and that nothing happens in our lives that stumps God or catches Him off guard. He came to save us from ourselves. He came so that we could take captive every thought and make them obedient to Him. He came so that we no longer have to fear. For the believer, what is the worst that could happen in any situation? We would die and spend eternity with Him. How dare we think this is worst case scenario? Remember "to die is gain." I know this is a hard things for our earthly trained minds to comprehend, but remembering that better is one day in His courts than a thousand elsewhere brings great rejoicing. Do Not Be Afraid!! I have good news and His name is Jesus and He HAS conquered your fears!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment