Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"Smoothing Out My Feathers"


I have a confession to make. My feathers get ruffled very easily. It seems I spend a great deal of time smoothing them out. They get ruffled when everything on my list of to do's doesn't get done. They get ruffled when circumstances go one way in my mind and then another way in reality. They get ruffled when the rest of the world can't understand how wonderful my ideas are. My feathers get very ruffled when someone messes with my children or my husband. Sometimes I think it would be better to walk around as a naked bird than one whose feathers continually stay ruffled. I have been trying for over a week now to smooth out my feathers. Something happened last Sunday afternoon that ruffled me like I had never be ruffled before. I will spare you the details, but let's just say when you are helping someone who has asked for help and you become the victim it is easy to have your feathers ruffled. I'll be honest...I'm having trouble getting over it. It seems that just about the time I think I have calmed down something else happens to ruffle my feathers and this bird is squawking again. I have been reminded daily of the verse in Proverbs 19:11 "A man's wisdom gives him patience, it is to his glory to overlook an offense." I am so thankful for this verse. I am thankful that wisdom is found in His word. I am thankful that patience is a fruit of the spirit and I am thankful that through the power of the Holy Spirit we have the ability to forgive and let go of wrongs done to us. (Even when we don't want to.) That has been my problem this week. I don't want to get over it. I don't want to walk around with ruffles feathers, but somehow I feel like getting over it would let the offender off the hook. I have even thought this week that by "overlooking" this offense I would be offering forgiveness when what was really needed was justice. This person was wrong. The words they chose were wrong. Their attitude was wrong, but guess what? I am then reminded that God does not punish me according to what I deserve. He sent a substitution to pay the price for me and for the one who ruffled my feathers. How dare I sit in judgement when He came to give His life in forgiveness? He has called us to do the same. So as I sit here today smoothing out my feathers I pray that God would continue to teach me how to be quick to forgive and slow to become angry. I pray that you would do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment