Thursday, November 12, 2009

"What Troubles Your Heart?"


Is there anything troubling your heart today? Maybe it's financial stress, a physical ailment, a crumbling marriage, loneliness or a rebellious child. From time to time I will ask my children, "Is something troubling your heart?" If your Father were to stand before you and say, "My child, what troubles your heart?" What would you say to Him? As I talk with women all over I am sensing an overall feeling of hopelessness. Hopeless marriages, hopeless finances, hopeless lives seem to be a resounding theme among many women today. So many have just given up and think "It will always be like this!" Psalms 62:5-8 "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge." I love how David pleads with us by saying "O People; pour out your hearts to him." David got it. He had struggles, he had trials, his heart was troubled, but He knew where to go. Wouldn't you love to say with David, "No matter what happens, I will not be shaken." We run late for a soccer game, burn supper, find cereal spilled on the floor and we are shaken. Come on! He is our fortress and our refuge. David hid out in caves in fear of losing his very life and yet he says he will trust Him at ALL times. When Jesus met with His disciples in the Upper Room he said to them..."Let not your hearts be troubled." He knew when He left they would be troubled, but listen to what else He said, "In this world you WILL have trouble, but take heart! I have overcome the world." WOW, if that does not give us peace, then nothing can. HE has overcome the crumbling marriages, the finances, the ailments, the loneliness. If HE has overcome all of that then why do we fill those voids with books, movies, alcohol, drugs, relationships and other things of this worlds which HE has overcome? We need to RUN to Him and find peace in Him. I heard a quote from a Kay Arthur book that says, "Peace does not come from a denial of reality or an absence of trial, but from a right relationship with Him." Our circumstances may not change any time soon or never, but we can have peace in the midst of the storm if we have a right relationship with Him. My friend, what troubles your heart today? Pour out your heart to your savior, find refuge in Him and let Him be your fortress. Cling to His word! He is our peace!  I leave you with this Psalm and pray that it becomes the prayer of your heart...Psalm 6:1-8"Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. For you have heard my vows, O God; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name. Increase the days of the king's life, his years for many generations. May he be enthroned in God's presence forever; appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him. Then will I ever sing praise to your name and fulfill my vows day after day."

No comments:

Post a Comment