Friday, June 18, 2010

"Saucer Sipping"


For years I have heard my Mother say, "We are drinking from the saucer because our cup is overflowing."

As we left for a 14 day vacation with much excitement, but a little apprehension on the part of Mommy we all wondered what to expect on this "New" vacation we were taking. You see we are beach people. Same vacation, same routine every year. (No complaints here, I love it, but this year we wanted some new adventure.) We headed out on a 19 hour road trip 1 way. Today I just want to share with you some blessings we have encountered on the way as we are sipping from our saucer. And just so you know, we are sipping, not gulping so we can savor every flavor as we "Taste and see that the Lord is good." Psalm 34:8

Our first sip came as we woke up at 4 a.m. Yes, I said 4 a.m. and loaded the car for the first 13 hours of our journey. Everyone was so happy, so excited and quickly went back to sleep. Except for Matthew. He had decided the night before that it would be fun to stay up all night and be awake for 24 full hours. He made it 21 and then we noticed his head bobbing in the backseat. Being the goal oriented parents that we are we tried to help him stay awake by laughing at him and picking on him, but soon he said in a slurred, sleepy voice, "I don't think this 24 hour thing is all its cracked up to be." With those words he dropped his head and slept the remainder of the trip and then some. I was amazed that on a 13 hour trip no one complained, no one had to stop (except me) and no one even argued. "Thank you Jesus!" "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation." Philippians 2:14


Our next sip came as we checked into our hotel, which we had blindly booked online. That always freaks me out. We were blessed to have a great rate within our budget due to a family and friends discount. (Thanks Megan) We had a booked a Springhill Suites by Marriott but you just never know about hotels. Wow, were we blown away when we walked in and saw the water fountain, leather sofas and chandeliers in the lobby of our "new hotel home for 3 days" as Jacob likes to put it. This place was so nice, big and beautiful. Wonderful FREE buffet breakfast, an indoor pool and 2 queen beds and a pull out queen sofa. I think God was just showing off for us. We were blessed beyond measure. We went to dinner our first night with Matt's brother and his family. They are so precious and easy to hang out with. The boys had a great time reuniting with their cousin and again I had to take a sip from the saucer as Jacob was so sweet to his little cousin. No hitting, yelling or bullying. Jacob is a sweet boy, but very unpredictable. Thank you Jesus that the discipline is paying off. "Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us." Ephesians 3:20

We spent the evening on the oil-free beach (another sip) of the Atlantic ocean. In case you did not know, the Atlantic Ocean is cold. The boys had a blast and got very wet!!! It is so neat to watch God provide and be ready in all circumstances since we are not. As we walked back to the van, we wondered how hard it would be to strap all four of them to the top in their wet, sandy clothes, 'cause they were not getting in my van. Aunt Renee provided the next sip as she had towels and a garbage bag in her car. We stripped those boys down to their skivvies, dried them off, made them sit on towels and Aunt Renee took the sandy clothes home in a garbage bag to wash them. I love that our God is always ready!!! "But put your hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment." I Timothy 6:17

The next morning we had a gorgeous day to spend in Williamsburg. It was amazing. The boys got to see what life was like in the 1800 and early 1900's. They had a blast and loved the things that I didn't really think they would enjoy like the tour of the governor's palace. We took a few sips that day as we forgot our stroller, but Aunt Renee brought an extra one for us to use. We were all sipping from the $10 refillable drink that at first made Mr. Money break into calculator mode, but soon proved to be the best deal of the day. Drinks and ice cream are expensive, but for $10 we could refill our mug with coke, ice cream, slushies, whatever we wanted as many times as we wanted. Thank you Jesus for calculator brains...this proved to be a great deal and we were never hot or thirsty. "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." John 7:37-38

I woke up the early the next morning as I sipped from my saucer at the beauty salon, the boys were sipping in their dreams as they got some much needed rest. My sister-in-law runs a Jazzy hair salon in Virginia Beach called "The Image." She "TREATED" me to a fun new haircut. See how God just keeps overflowing that cup. I have to admit that I was a little discouraged that morning as we woke up to thunderstorms. It was a yucky day. It also happened to be the only day we had to spend on the beach and the kids were all pumped up. When I returned with my new sassy, flippy haircut, I told the boys that we needed to pray and prepare. We needed to pray and ask the Lord to stop the rain and prepare to go to the beach. We got ready and as soon as the World Cup game was over we left for the beach under sunny, beautiful, clear skies and we had an amazing day. We played in the frigid water, we played in the sand and we rode a family bike for 1 1/2 hours up and down the boardwalk and shared an oreo blizzard. Sweet, sweet memories. Thank you Jesus for clearing the rain up just for us. We believe that He did, because as we got in the van and started driving back to out "hotel home" it began to pour down, lightning illuminated the skies and thunder shook the earth, but we continued to bask in the showers of blessings. Thank you Jesus! "I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessings." Ezekiel 34:26

We continued on our journey to the Dutch country of Pennsylvania. We enjoyed the gorgeous bridges and views as we crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and God gave me an opportunity to face my fear of underwater tunnels and trust Him completely. We arrived at Lake n Woods Camp Grounds and found our cabin. It was much nicer than I expected, but even if it had not been, I would have still been blown away at the beauty of this small home tucked away in the woods. As I set up our home for the week I turned on the TV, (I know, I know, but technology is all around us) and the first words I hear are "Jesus Messiah, name above all name, blessed redeemer, emmanuel." OVERWHELMED!!! Is the only word I have to explain the GULP I took from the saucer at that moment. It was like God himself had shut the mouth of the Television and said, "I am here and I am in all things, I am above all things. Worship ME!" I soon found out that this is a Christian owned and operated camp. We are looking forward to church on the campground Sunday and a Praise and Worship service Sunday night.

So if you are wondering where I am and what I am doing just picture me on a porch, in the woods, sipping from my saucer, enjoying my family and worshipping my creator!! He is in all things, He is above all things and He makes Himself known in all we do. Watch for Him, Look for Him and Be still and know that He is God.!!

Psalm 23:5 "You anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows."


No comments:

Post a Comment