Monday, June 7, 2010

"I Haven't Been To The Bathroom Alone In 10 Years"

Knock, knock, knock, "Mommy, are in there?", fingers under the door, a little nose peeking under, door opening, close it...For the past 10 years this has been my (potty) bathroom experience. As the mom of preschoolers you are never alone and you no longer call the bathroom a bathroom, but it is now a potty. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have it any other way. I love having my children with me all the time, but there are a few moments during that day that I prefer to go it alone. Those moments actually occur in the potty. Those are the few moments during the day that without guilt I can tune out all whining, knocking, screaming and noise and enjoy just a brief moment of silence. I have a confession to make. I use my few moments alone in the bathroom to grow, to refocus, to feed my soul. Yes, I am a bathroom reader. Too personal?? If you were to poll people all across this country you would find many different "bathroom reading materials." It is interesting to see what people read during their most private moment of the day. There are even books written especially for those moments. They are called "bathroom readers." How funny is that? It is a known fact that people read during those private moments in the bathroom. I use to thumb through cute mommy magazines and look at house plan books, but then I realized that those things were making me greedy and discontent and since my flesh struggles with those things enough on its own, I did not need to be encouraged in that direction. I now keep my bible and a variety of devotional books on a shelf near my "potty." It serves as such a great respite in the midst of a crazy day. It does not take the place of spending quality time with my Savior and having a quiet time, but it keeps me encouraged and focused all day. As moms we need to be encouraged by the great women of the Bible, we need to memorize scripture, we need to continually pour God's word into our hearts so that we can deal with the craziness of the day in a way that brings Him honor and glory. Look through your personal potty library and see what you are feeding your soul during your moments alone each day. I encourage you take advantage of every moment as we continue to grow closer to our Savior and be conformed into His image "Moment by Moment."

No comments:

Post a Comment