Friday, September 5, 2014

Standing In The Gap

Writing is a great passion of mine but for a season The Lord has called me to help those I love seek after their passions, so I have taken a break.  I think we are approaching a "settled" life if that is possible with 4 boys playing 4 sports and learning to bloom in a new community. All this change has brought about much joy but also many struggles.  As I have sought The Lord in dealing with these new life and parenting struggles he continually brings me to Ezekiel 22:30 "I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one."  I have been called to intercede on behalf of my husband and children like never before. Intercede- Go Between.  When building a brick wall the mortar goes between the bricks to bind the bricks together and strengthen them. Without the mortar "going between" the wall would collapse. The easiest way to break down a wall is to start where the mortar is weak.  "This" is what the enemy is looking for. He studies our children and he knows their weaknesses. Where will they compromise? Where is the easiest, most vulnerable attack? Guess what?  As their mom I see those areas too. Why? Because I study my children. The Lord has called me to "stand in those gaps" on behalf of my children. To pray for those specific areas. To keep HIS word ever before them concerning those weaknesses. Intercession is to fill in those gaps in our children's spiritual armor and hold them up so the enemy can't gain an advantage.  Mom can't fix it all. Mom can't make it all better or even make all the bad go away, but Mom CAN pray, interceding on behalf of my children.  I can hold their arms up in praise when they are weary.  I have recently seen this first hand.  One of our boys has had a really hard time with moving so far from friends and family. He struggled for quite some time, then I suddenly noticed a huge change is his attitude and countenance. I asked him if he knew what caused the sudden change. He responded, "The only thing that is different is that I have been praying more."  Circumstances had not changed but he was praying and I was praying. I confess that as his mood improved I directed my prayers in a different direction and he too decreased his pleas to The Lord. About a week ago I noticed he was very depressed, teary and just plain miserable. I returned to the gap, asked others to pray and challenged him to seek The Lord.  At the time he was too discouraged to lift his hands in prayer. Ever been there?  I have.  Those of us who know him well, who can see the weak spots began to intercede. The Lord opened up many opportunities for me to hang out with precious young man. We talked, we cried, we shared scripture and we prayed. Last night he came to me and said, "I know God is working because there is nothing else to explain it.  Today I have been overcome with joy. It has to be God." Yes, my son, it HAS to be God. Only God can create beauty from ashes. Only God can turn our sorrow into joy. Only God!  I realized that as a parent we cannot, we must not move away from the gaps in the wall. We must stand guard and intercede on behalf of our children to protect them from the enemy as the walls of their lives are being built.  They are in a battle each and every day and we must commit to standing on the front lines FOR THEM. We know them, sometimes better than they know themselves, so we know how to pray. It is our joy and privilege to lift our children up, to stand in the gap for them as God grows these precious boys into mighty men of God.  He is looking for ONE who will stand in the gap. Will YOU be that one for your children?

No comments:

Post a Comment