Friday, August 6, 2010

"Mommy, Hold My Face"

"Hold my face" is something that we have said to all four of our boys since they were very little. When they hold my face, I know they are paying attention and it draws them into a place of submission versus me holding their face and forcing them to look at me. I have said "hold my face" probably a half a dozen times each day for the past 10 years. Today was the first time anyone has ever asked me to hold their face. Jacob and I were on the floor talking and playing and he said, "Mommy, hold my face." I placed my hands on those adorable, soft, chubby cheeks and looked into those dark chocolate eyes. "Mommy, I want to watch Dora and I want to watch it right now." I burst into roaring laughter. Apart from being bossy and demanding, it was one of the most adorable things he has ever done. He wanted my undivided attention. It saddened my heart for a moment to think that he does not always have my undivided attention. He also wanted me to understand that he was serious about his request. I find myself answering questions this way a lot..."Mommy, may I have a drink?" "In a minute." "Mommy, will you help me with this?" "Give me just a second. " "I'll be there in a little while." "Not right now." Do any of these sound familiar to you? I know that children have to learn delayed gratification and patience, but I'm sure there are other ways for them to discover these character traits without the lesson ALWAYS coming from mommy. I want my children to know that they are important to me and I am always here for them anytime and all the time. I'm so glad my Heavenly Father hears me and is always there for me. He is always holding my face when I pour my heart out to Him. He is attentive and I always have His undivided attention. There are times when He asks me to practice patience or experience delayed gratification, but He always answers and His answers are always on time and they are never wrong. Our Heavenly Father is always waiting and longing to hear from us. I treasure these precious days with my children. Jacob is by far my most "touchy" child. He is always sitting with me, climbing on me, cuddling with me, leaning on me, crawling over me and "nuggling" as he calls it. There are not many hours in the day when he and I are not touching. There are days I feel like I have a leech or a growth and then I remember that all too soon he will grow up and he will not longer be by my side all the time. These moments are precious and fleeting. I treasure the moments that I get to look in my children's eyes and hear from their hearts. I know my Heavenly Father treasures and longs for those moments as well. I pray that I will always be found "holding His face," resting in His presence and abiding in His word.

1 comment:

  1. I love this Monica! I have been thinking of this very thing lately as my youngest said last week.....just a minute Mommy;)

    ReplyDelete