Monday, January 11, 2010

"What National Championship?"


I have officially embarrassed my children. I was talking with a friend on the phone Thursday and she ask, "So what are you guys up to tonight." "I am making soup and Matt's parents are coming over to watch some game. I think it might be a football game." "Oh my word Monica, are you serious, you really don't know what game is coming on tonight?" I had to confess that I was clueless, but apparently I was missing something big. I got off the phone and asked my children and their friend if they knew about a game that was coming on television tonight. "Yes ma'am, the Bama vs. Texas game, it's the National Chamionship game. Mom yesterday was declared Mark Ingram day." To which I had to ask..."Who is Mark Ingram, is he the news anchor for WSFA in Montgomery." "Oh mom!" Caleb said as he shook his head and walked out the door. I began to think about this and realized that they are big boys who live and breathe football, so maybe I wasn't completely living in la la land, so I called Joshua, my five year old, who was playing at a friends house. "Joshua, do you know about a football game coming on television tonight?" "Yes, ma'am, Bama vs. Texas, it's the National Chamionship Game. Mommy, it's a big deal." "Joshua, how did I not know about this?" "Mommy, you had to know. You must have forgotten. You couldn't have not known." Yet, there I sat "not knowing." I was clueless. Apparently I am the only one in the state of Alabama who had no idea who was playing in the National Championship or that it was even time for the National Championship Game. Apparently, I live in a world all my own. I cook, I clean, I write, I blog, I plan Date Nights, I take care of my family, I encourage my friends. If it doesn't directly effect me, I am usually clueless. I will be honest, I am not a big football fan. I loved football when my brother played and when Matt played in college. I will probably never be a big football fan. It's just not in me, but I am a fan of individuals who play. I have however realized that if it is important to those around me, it needs to be more important to me. "Rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn." Now hopefully those who mourn a football loss are not truly mourning, but I have seen the rejoicing at my house and I can high five with the best of them. God used my lack of knowledge and interest in the BCS National Championship (Which I am proud to say I now know what BCS stands for) to teach me that I need to be a little more aware about the things that are important to those around me. Dying to self a little more and sharing in the hearts and interest of others open doors to minister and connect on a new level. My children know that I am interested in them and I get excited about the things that they get excited about, but beyond the Hawkins world I am usually not very culturally aware. Ask me about a song you heard on the radio...Don't know it! Ask me about the latest movie you have seen at the theatre...Haven't seen it! Ask me about your favorite television series...Probably haven't heard of it unless Dora, Diego or Phineas and Ferb are in it. Culturally relevant things seem to get past me quite often. The bible says in Romans 16:19 Everyone has heard about your obedience, so I am full of joy over you; but I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil.  We are instructed to be innocent of what is evil. I am not claiming that all things in our culture are evil, but come on have you looked around. I want to know the hearts of my friends and family. I want to know the things that are important to them. I know I started with football, but this goes beyond some football game. I will live more alert and watchful. I will be more aware of the things that make my people tick. Now I know what you are thinking, so this is her new years resolution. Nope, don't believe in January 1 as a magical date. When God calls you to do something, you obey and do it no matter the date. No resolution, just an eye opening conviction to die to self a little more and love with a little more awareness. Do want to come over and watch the National Championship with us next year!

2 comments:

  1. Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know about the game :). I'm really "out of" current events and entertainment - but I don't mind. I've enjoyed reading your blog! It's funny and encouraging, transparent and honest. ~Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might take you up on the invite, but only if Auburn is playing in the game! WAR EAGLE!!!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete